After making Mongolian Beef, a few people were wanting a follow up to that on orange chicken. So, I decided to try it out and it came out great.
Let’s get into how I made it.
How to Make Orange Chicken
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Large ziplock bag
- Deep non-stick skillet pan
- Good knife
- Stirring spoon (Le Creuset preferred)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 oz of orange juice
- 3 oz of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of sriracha
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of chili paste
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder (garlic salt works as substitute)
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder (can use minced onions)
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- Canola oil
- 1/4 cup of orange peels (zest, you get this by grating the orange)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 small orange
- Sesame seeds
Make the sauce
- In a small saucepan, add 1 cup of tomato sauce, 3 oz of orange juice and chicken stock, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of sriracha, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of chili paste, and 2 teaspoons of black pepper.
- Mix ingredients and incorporate evenly.
- Cook on low-medium heat for about 20 minutes.
Prepare chicken for cooking
- On a cutting board, place out 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts.
- Using a sharp knife proceed to cut each piece into small chunks, resembling about the size of a chicken nugget.
- Once cut, grab a large ziplock bag.
- Proceed to transfer chicken to the bag and begin to add spices and flour.
- Add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, creole seasoning, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 3/4 of a cup of all purpose flour, and 2 tablespoons of corn starch.
- Once all the spices and flour has been added, shake the contents of the bag vigorously until everything gets evenly incorporated.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and set to the side.
Cook the chicken
- In a deep non-stick skillet pan, heat to medium with a small amount of canola oil.
- Proceed to add chicken once pan has already been pre-heated in small batches (this allows each piece to cook evenly).
- Cook on each side for 3 minutes, tossing after every few minutes.
- Place batches to the side in your serving dish.
- Proceed to clean the skillet pan and prepare for the next step.
Add the glaze and serve!
- After cleaning the skillet pan, heat to medium.
- Add another small amount of canola oil, 1/4 cup of orange zest, and about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Cook for about a minute, stirring around frequently.
- Once oil has been flavored, proceed to add sauce from earlier and chicken into the skillet pan.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium, stirring frequently.
- Once mixture is done, transfer back to the serving dish you used earlier (be sure to clean it!).
- Top with orange slices cut into eighths and sesame seeds.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes to cool.
That’s it for this recipe, pretty easy to do and very tasty. When I have time, I’ll probably share my favorite sandwich recipe at some point next weekend.